Sign in to follow this  
lunamud

Female-Centric Lifting Resources

Share any blogs, articles, etc. that are aimed at or written by ladies that lift.

Gubernatrix

Stumptuous

70's Big - on Mondays

Rachel Cosgrove

Go Kaleo

Girls Gone Strong - GGS Facebook page

Nia Shanks - GGS

Marianne Kane - GGS

Jen Comas Keck- GGS

Julia Ladewski - GGS

Neghar Fonooni - GGS

(I can't do neat links!!)

Type what you want your link to say. Then, highlight it and click on the little gray chain link with the green + in a circle (It says "link" when you hover over it). A box will pop open. Paste your link in there. Tada!

Marsha Christensen

Woohoo! It worked, thanks Amy!

sorry for double post...

Nah, I don't lift. I just make shit up. :D

You do it so well :D

have you ladies taken a look at Dana linn Baliey's site? she is more of a bodybuilder but very strong and loves her squats

she has a 20 rep routine of bench/squats/press its crazy

some excellent resources on this thread!

Fucking awesome "rant" on the Stumptuous blog. Please check it out.

Best thing I've read in ages....there is a slow - but gaining momentum - movement just now away from the "strong is the new skinny" mantra (which is just pressure by a different name) and I LOVE it. Thanks for posting Amy.

Thanks, ladies! Good stuff.

So I am still very new to lifting, but I have been reading the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Even though its written by a man, he is very ardent about making sure women shouldn't fear or shun lifting for all the ridiculous, overblown myths and "warnings" out there. Its also interesting to read the analysis and breakdown of all the advice buzzwords and jargon targeted at women that are essentially useless for the goals most women want. (And since I'm working on a biochem Ph.D., I can also say that his scientific arguments and interpretation of real studies seem pretty logical.)

He is also very amusing to read.

Has anyone else read it? Any thoughts?

So I am still very new to lifting, but I have been reading the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess. Even though its written by a man, he is very ardent about making sure women shouldn't fear or shun lifting for all the ridiculous, overblown myths and "warnings" out there. Its also interesting to read the analysis and breakdown of all the advice buzzwords and jargon targeted at women that are essentially useless for the goals most women want. (And since I'm working on a biochem Ph.D., I can also say that his scientific arguments and interpretation of real studies seem pretty logical.)

He is also very amusing to read.

Has anyone else read it? Any thoughts?

It was one of my first introductions to lifting. I loved the book and enjoyed the program when I was on it. I would recommend (and have) the book to any woman that is new to the idea of lifting. That being said, I don't think I could ever go back to that program. The way I view lifting and programming is quite different now and I have a totally different idea of heavy these days.

Kelly has also read the book and done the program. She might have comments to add.

I second everything Amy just said. It's a great program for someone just getting started and I highly recommend it.

As I progressed, and got more interested in building strength for the long haul, I moved to a program that focused more on the "core" lifts (squat, deadlift, press) and lifting heavy.

It's a good way to get the terminology and basic mechanics of lifting down, and building that beginning strength that you can move up from, if that makes sense.

NROLFW was my introduction to lifting as well. I did the first several stages before moving on to 5x5. I agree with what Amy and Kelly already added. It's a great introduction to lifting for women, it's accessible, it's kind of a funny read, and I actually really like the food section (but I enjoy reading recipes more than most people). It helped give me the confidence to go into the scary weight room and act like I knew what I was doing. The major downside of the program for me at the time was that it was just too complicated for the gym and equipment that was available to me.

Also, Boston represent! Woot!

don't know where i should post it

This is made obvious by the fact that you posted it here. Not relevant.