Sign in to follow this  
5inthehall

Belts For Women?

I'm considering buying a lifting belt, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

-- how wide? What I've read so far suggests that the standard 4-in. belts may be too wide for folks with hips. Has anybody had experience with the tapered belts? The Inzer website says its tapered belt is for bodybuilding and "some powerlifting applications" -- whatever that means. :wacko:

-- levers or holes?

-- how thick? I'm assuming 10mm will be plenty for me.

-- what color? (Just kidding -- I think I can figure that out on my own. :))

-- any specific manufacturer/brand recommendations?

Thanks!

I'm considering buying a lifting belt, but I'm not sure what kind to get.

-- how wide? What I've read so far suggests that the standard 4-in. belts may be too wide for folks with hips. Has anybody had experience with the tapered belts? The Inzer website says its tapered belt is for bodybuilding and "some powerlifting applications" -- whatever that means. :wacko:

I suggest a 3 in. belt, but you are taller and a 4 in may work well. My 4 in hits my hips and ribs. According to Rip, tapered belts are made by people that don't understand the purpose of a belt. Which, BTW, is to create presure using the valsalva manuver in order to protect the spine. You want to feel that pressure all the way around your torso.

-- levers or holes?

Levers seem pretty awesome if your waist is always the same. Mine is not.

-- how thick? I'm assuming 10mm will be plenty for me.

10 mm should be good.

-- what color? (Just kidding -- I think I can figure that out on my own. :))

-- any specific manufacturer/brand recommendations?

The people Best Belts in NC are very helpful and they will make a custom belt to your specifications. This might be good for you because it may be hard to find a belt that will fit a waist your size.. The website is down but the e-mail is BestBelts1982@aol.com.

Thanks!

I answered these questions on other threads, but I thought I could put my answers here for others that might come across this.

ETA: I swear my belt gives me solid 30 extra lbs on my DL.

Edited by lunamud

Copied from my log:

@5: Here's what you need to know about belts (my knowledge is from reading websites & talking w/John Shaeffer)~

Thickness: 10mm or 13mm. You want 10mm. 13mm is for the BIG boys!

Width around (NO taper in the front, that's for Oly lifting): 4", 3" or other. I have a 4" belt and I don't have any problems w/the edges digging into my pelvis or ribs. I'm also 5'8" w/a longish torso which is probably why. Does your gym have any community belts laying around you can try? How about any of your lifting buddies? Or at the Crossfit where your hubby trains? Just so you can test one out.

Style: Double prong, single prong or lever. Forget double prong, too much of a PITA to get on & off. Lever is super easy to release when you are finished. Its downside is that if you gain/lose weight, you will need a screwdriver to adjust the location of the lever. I don't know how difficult it is to do this. The single prong is in between. Its a bit more difficult to maneuver than lever but you have the easy adjustability of a belt. I have a single prong. If I were to do it again, I would probably get a lever as I don't plan on my waist changing all that much. I have had 2 hilarious situations in the beginning (before the belt was fully broken in) where I couldn't get the thing off. After a heavy set, I didn't have much energy left for wrangling the belt. Had to get a trainer over to pull which was uncomfortable for both he & I!! Since it's broken in now, I don't have a problem.

Where to Buy: Mine is from the same place as Luna, bestbelts.net. Their site is no longer up & running but you can call. Story & phone number here. Dean Best makes them to order and mine arrived very quickly. He is also very helpful over the phone w/getting the correct size.

There is also Inzer. I have read (more than once), that it takes awhile to get belts that are not black & that their customer service isn't the best.

And there is Titan.

Color: I got black, since that coordinates w/everything. I would probably go w/something more fun if I were to do it again. My husband suggested a less "stealable" color like lavender :rolleyes: Things sometimes disappear from the Y.

I'm sure there's more places to purchase from but these are the ones off the top of my head.

Forget double prong, too much of a PITA to get on & off.

I've a double prong belt and don't find it a problem at all - mind you it's nicely worn in now and goes on easily.

There's always a squat rack or bench upright to help getting it off if you've over tightened it.

Get a darker colour - looks better with chalk on it :ph34r:

B)

Kathy gave good info. Not sure about the tapered belts being used by anyone though.

Some double prongs are quite nasty until worn in.

Mine, as you know, is purple; which is pimp.

I've a double prong belt and don't find it a problem at all

You are a big, strong Mouse! As much as I hate to admit it, us ladies generally don't have as much strength as you do ;)

Just in addition to what I've written in your log, if you decide to go for one of the 'big names', do not buy direct from Inzer or Titan. Get it from the distributors, who will be quicker/cheaper charges:

Inzer: House of Pain

Titan: LiftingLarge, PLGearOnline, AndersonPowerlifting

As you know, I've ordered my new one from Rickey Dale Crain.

I have an Inzer Forever Lever belt and have talked to a couple that had a single prong that switched to lever belts.

Adjusting the lever belt is super easy if needed.

I carry a small screwdriver in my bag just in case but you can even adjust it with a coin, like a penny, dime, quarter.

Best thing about a lever belt is the ease of use when you try to tighten it and loosen it.

It literally is a flick of of a lever.

Here is review of my Inzer 10mm Forever Lever Belt: http://mannixcastro.com/2011/08/07/inzer-forever-lever-belt-10mm/

I have an Inzer Forever Lever belt and have talked to a couple that had a single prong that switched to lever belts.

Adjusting the lever belt is super easy if needed.

I carry a small screwdriver in my bag just in case but you can even adjust it with a coin, like a penny, dime, quarter.

Best thing about a lever belt is the ease of use when you try to tighten it and loosen it.

It literally is a flick of of a lever.

Here is review of my Inzer 10mm Forever Lever Belt: http://mannixcastro....ever-belt-10mm/

Thanks for posting the close up pics of your belt Kilim. I've always wondered how excactly the lever is attached. That does look very simple to adjust.

In terms of the lever my belt is kind of a cross between double prong and lever but you dont have to drill holes in it if you gain/lose weight... hard to describe but here's the belt:

http://www.zuluglove...-black-24-p.asp

You basically get the best of a lever belt without having to adjust it.

In terms of the lever my belt is kind of a cross between double prong and lever but you dont have to drill holes in it if you gain/lose weight... hard to describe but here's the belt:

http://www.zuluglove...-black-24-p.asp

You basically get the best of a lever belt without having to adjust it.

:) I have the same - didn't need breaking in, still like new, awesome! Only thing is I get a bruise on my right leg from the lever while squatting. Took me some time to find out where this weird bruise is coming from :lol:

Hey 5, you bought the belt. Update this thread with pics.

I will, Guru.:) I bought two, and I want to try them out next week so I can write a little review. Update coming.

any Canadian sites for some of these belts?

Damn those belts are expensive.. I was looking for a belt here in India and I was getting one for $10 and I thought that was costly :P

Finally got this one: http://www.ebay.in/itm/ADJUSTABLE-WEIGHT-LIFTING-BELT-SIZE-LARGE-/190637457692?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_203&hash=item2c62e0c11c

Nothing great, but gets the work done :)

I agree with everything previously said about Inzer belts. My fiance just ordered an Inzer 10mm Forever Single Prong Lever size medium for herself. She is 5'6" with a slightly shorter than average torso. It hasn't come in the mail yet but she's tried on my Inzer 10mm Forever Single Prong Lever size large with it tightened up almost all of the way and it worked fine.

It's not very hard to adjust the size. It can be done with a coin or the screwdriver on a swiss army type knife. It takes about 3 minutes. I'll let you know what she thinks once it finally comes. I emphasize finally. It took mine six weeks to come in the mail. She ordered hers like 4 weeks ago.

A word of caution: your belt will bruise you when you first start using it. You can minimize this by really roughing it up, folding it over on itself hard, stomping on it, etc. but regardless it's still going to leave some pretty hideous marks around your hips for the first couple weeks of use until it's fully broken in.

@akshay holy shit $5 for a belt?! I had to do a currency conversion because I couldn't believe it when I first saw it. I need to buy more things sold in Rupees!

Lol! I ordered 5 more for some people in the gym :)

Okay. Belt review. I now own three of them, two that I bought and one that tesseract sent me because she had an extra.

1. Inzer Forever 10 mm buckle belt. I debated getting the lever version, but decided on the buckle instead for easier adjustability. This thing was stiff as hell when it first arrived, but it was pretty easy to break it in enough to make it usable. I didn't do anything drastic like driving a car over it (I was afraid of snapping the buckle prong) or putting it through the dishwasher. Instead, I just rolled it up and stomped on it for a while. I ordered the size appropriate for my waist measurement according to the website (a small), and it fits well. It is four inches wide. I'm tall and have a reasonably roomy torso, so I didn't expect any trouble with the width. However, I'm also fairly curvy, and the belt digs into my ribs during squats, leaving a cute little bruise on the left side every time. A 3.5" belt might have been better, but I couldn't find one on the internet (except a tapered one). I assume I could have gotten a custom-made one in that width, though. Still, the bruising isn't awful, and it's a fair trade-off for the extra stability during heavy squats. I feel MUCH more stable in the hole while wearing the belt. The first time I tried it, I got a PR.

2. Spud deadlift belt. I ordered the smallest size they had (a medium), and I have to cinch it as tightly as possible to make it usable. But you don't want your belt as tight on deads as on squats, so it works out OK. I do wish I could make it a big tighter, though. The Inzer would be murder while deadlifting given its stiffness, but the Spud belt is softer and doesn't dig into my ribs or hips. It's plenty sturdy, though, and it helps me keep my back from rounding. I'm not sure if it is actually protecting me, or if its presence is just reminding me to keep a strong Valsalva, but either way it seems to be working. Obviously, with this belt, there was no need for breaking in.

And I haven't actually tried the one that tesseract sent (because the ones I ordered arrived first), but I'll post a review of that one when I do.

Hmmm, really making me curious about belts. I wish i worked out at a gym that had belts i could try first.