• First Name:Marcio
  • LocationIndiana
  • Height:6'1''
  • Body Weight:172 (9.2%BF)
  • Squat PR:215
  • Press PR:bench 215 (1RM)
  • Deadlift PR:365 (1RM)

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:26 AM

Hey guys, I currently work out at my university gym and since I graduated my membership will expire in 2012. Anyway the best next gym is $100 a month... For that much I would rather begin to build a home setup, figure it will run me about ~$1000 with a platform, cage, bar, and bumper plates...

For the platform I was thinking of copying this...

http://forum.bodybui...23382101&page=1

any thoughts? experience?

#2 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • First Name:Adam
  • LocationBrisbane
  • Height:1.85
  • Body Weight:125

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:16 PM

Nice timing. Oddly enough I am building one very similar tonight when I get home from work. My measurements are all in metric of course. I've got 4 sheets of 2400x1200x15mm ply which I will lay two beside each other to make a 2400x2400 square and then glue the other two the other way to bind them and create a 30mm platform. From there I will glue my centre piece which is a 2400mmx1200mmx18mm piece of marine ply which should look the goods once it is varnished up. For the drop zone I found some 600x600x12.5mm fatigue rubber squares. Finding the rubber was easily the hardest part. i suggest you model the design around what rubber you can get. This is the make or break in my opinion! So four of these fit the 2400x600mm side runs perfectly. All that is needed is some ply to put under them to raise them to the 18mm height of the centre piece. The piece I got is 7mm so the mats will be 19.5mm high and the centre piece will be 18mm. Hopefully not too much of a noticieably difference. Once I'm done I'll post an entry with pictures and how my plan went. In the end my platform will be a 2400mm square with a 1200mm centre zone and two 600mm drop zones.

#3 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 28 November 2011 - 09:23 PM

awesome yes post pictures please! If you could have the bar in it to (for size reference) would help as metric numbers mean nothing to me haha! I live in a farm area myself so I can get rubber horse matting pretty much anywhere and its cheap.

#4 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:59 AM

It's going well so far. It's taking a little longer than I thought, but so far so good. Thought I would get it all done tonight, but it may take a couple of evenings to get it done.

#5 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:22 PM

The raw materials - 4 x 2400x1200x15mm CDX ply, 2 x 2400x600x7mm CDX ply, 1 x 2400x1200x18mm marine ply, 8 x 600x600mm rubber mats.
Posted Image

First two sheets of CDX ply down.
Posted Image

#6 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

All four sheets of ply down. Glued with liquid nails and secured with 28mm wood screws
Posted Image

7mm sheets down in the drop zone.
Posted Image

#7 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Marine ply for the centre.
Posted Image

Rubber mats for the drop zone
Posted Image

I've still got to secure the top layers and rubber mats, then seal and finish the centre piece. Will update once I'm done!

#8 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

wow looks great so far! so that is a full size oly platform right? How heavy is it? I am more than likely going to move a few more times before I settle down so I was thinking of making it half length for that reason, also I have to move it around so I can park in the garage lol!

#9 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

No idea how heavy! But pretty sure I wont be able to move it on my own! And yep it's full size, it's basically 8' x 8'. The centre panel is 8' long by 4' wide and the side panels are 8' long by 2' wide. Hope that helps! So I suppose you could halve the length and make it 8' wide and 4' long. That would probably work fine too! I can't wait to get it finished and start setting PB's!

#10 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:44 PM

thanks again, do you think something like this would work with the 'legs' on the rubber? Its four feet wide, would be a cheap solution!

http://www.amazon.co...22609826&sr=8-1

#11 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • First Name:Keenan
  • LocationFL
  • Height:5'9"
  • Body Weight:185
  • Squat PR:405lb, 315lb FS
  • Press PR:285lb Bench, 200lb OHP
  • Deadlift PR:525lb

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:13 AM

thanks again, do you think something like this would work with the 'legs' on the rubber? Its four feet wide, would be a cheap solution!

http://www.amazon.co...22609826&sr=8-1

If you can spring for a good "half-rack" by rogue or someone you might be better off in the long run.

#12 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

I've got this one and it does me fine:

http://www.amazon.co...22614144&sr=1-9

#13 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

sweet so are you placing that on your platform? or are you putting it behind?

#14 bluestreak

bluestreak

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • First Name:Ben
  • LocationWellington, New Zealand
  • Height:6'5" (195 cms)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Adam - very nice! Where did you get the rubber from?

I've been thinking of building something similar. At the moment I just have two sets of rubber matts each side of my rack, which is ok but not ideal.

I kept help but feel this is a silly question but is it a problem if the power rack sits on the platform? I a bit tight on space, can't have something that sticks out too much (or else the car won't get in!). I'd also like to have something either side of the rack, whether it be because I'm deadlifting within the rack or to take some of the impact, incase I accidentally drop a plate.

#15 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:47 AM

My rack as pictured in that link will have the front two feet on the platform and the rear two on the ground behind. I'm limited for space too. I can't see why it would be a problem. I don't know for sure anyway until later in the week when I set it up. I'm also planning on putting my old mats around the platform for the same reason, in case I drop a plate etc. Once I've got my gym all back together I'll put up some more pics so you can see how I end up configuring it. I'm sort of working it out as I go to be honest!

I got the rubber from Bunnings which is a big hardware store here. Similar to Lowes I believe. The mats aren't floor mats which is why they were so hard to find in this size. They are actually called anti-vibration mats and are designed to go under your washing machine or dryer or between a front load washer and dryer so they don't vibrate. Only found them by chance, but they are damn perfect! And were much cheaper than any other rubber I had seen!

#16 bluestreak

bluestreak

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:14 AM

Thanks Adam! I'm in NZ and we have Bunnings over here. I was crossing my fingers you'd say you got them there!

This is my gym.
Home gym!

The picture was taken when the car wasn't in the garage (I've got about 1-1.5 meters between rack and the car though when I train, I move the car out just to be safe). So I was thinking of building something either half the size or building it so that the rack sits on top the plaform.

In my case, is it ok to have the rack sit on the platform or is the rack never meant to be on the platform?

#17 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:35 AM

Awesome! Well I got everything from Bunnings, so you should be able to replicate the whole job! I think it would be fine for the rack to sit on the platform, or like mine will be half on, half off. It means the rack will be on a slight angle, but that should make too much of a difference I wouldn't think! Would be keen to see how you get on if you decide to proceed! You could always just go with a half platform. Would be cheaper and would sit nicely in front of your rack. You would just half all of the materials! And those mats are a steal get into Bunnings and get some!

Also, sweet setup you've got there! A platform would really compliment it nicely!

#18 Art

Art

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts
  • First Name:Art
  • LocationColumbus, Tx
  • Height:6'0"
  • Body Weight:189
  • Squat PR:190x5
  • Press PR:105 strict, Bench 150x2
  • Deadlift PR:275x5

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:44 AM

Wait, you mean just a horse stall mat's enough to do O lifts? must be using bumpers, too?

#19 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:14 AM

Yeah you gotta have bumper plates. I just assumed if you were building a platform you had bumpers.

#20 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:54 AM

Yeah when I'm doing this I'm getting bumper plates. You can get some deals on them if you buy a bar to from companies like rogue and pendlay

#21 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

If you already have plates, don't replace them all with bumpers. All you need are 4-6 x 20kg bumper plates. These will be a bigger diameter than your others and so you will be able to load every increment you need combining the bumper and regular plates. I have 6 x 20kg bumpers and it's all I've ever needed. I have another 10 hammertone 20kg and an assortment of smaller hammertone plates and it gets the job done. With three 20kg bumpers aside that is enough to typically handle the demands of being dropped. This has worked well for me anyway. Buying all those small bumpers just seems a waste of cash to me.

#22 MarcioTheGreat

MarcioTheGreat

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:20 AM

for sure, I own absolutely no work out gear besides a pull up bar currently haha, figure I'll shell out the extra dough to get me a nice bar and some decent bumper plates.

#23 bluestreak

bluestreak

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

Awesome! Well I got everything from Bunnings, so you should be able to replicate the whole job! I think it would be fine for the rack to sit on the platform, or like mine will be half on, half off. It means the rack will be on a slight angle, but that should make too much of a difference I wouldn't think! Would be keen to see how you get on if you decide to proceed! You could always just go with a half platform. Would be cheaper and would sit nicely in front of your rack. You would just half all of the materials! And those mats are a steal get into Bunnings and get some!

Also, sweet setup you've got there! A platform would really compliment it nicely!

Cheers mate! I'm really happy with the setup so far. With the car out of the garage, I've got a big space to myself when I train. Only downside is not enough ceiling space for pressing.

I think I'll end up building the full size one and put my rack on top. The rubber matts I have are ok but, when I deadlift, it means the bar is about 2 cms off the floor and, more importantly, the little buggers aren't stuck to the floor so they can move around.

Now I have (yet another) to head to Bunnings this weekend!

#24 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 November 2011 - 10:34 AM

Sounds good man, I am the worlds worst DIY guy, so if I can pull this off, anyone can! Here is the platform all glued down, with just the seal and stain to do tomorrow night!

Posted Image

#25 Guest_ExperimentB76z_*

Guest_ExperimentB76z_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

That's an awesome platform, Adam. Nice build!

#26 CarlHmS

CarlHmS

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • First Name:Carl
  • LocationThe Bend, Midwest, USA
  • Height:5' 10" (177 cm)
  • Body Weight:165 lbs. (75 kgs.)

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

wow looks great so far! so that is a full size oly platform right? How heavy is it? I am more than likely going to move a few more times before I settle down so I was thinking of making it half length for that reason, also I have to move it around so I can park in the garage lol!

Based on the materials used, I'd say that thing probably weighs north of 250lbs. (114 kg.) A half size would obviously be half that.

No idea how heavy! But pretty sure I wont be able to move it on my own!

Indeed, the size alone would make it difficult to manage. That fact that it's so heavy definitely compounds the problem. You could likely drag it by yourself if you're not moving it far. Note to anyone attempting this, consider building where you want it so you don't have to move it. I believe Rip's design is three layers thick so that would be even heavier. A full size platform will definitely not be convenient to move around, much less move to another building.

#27 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

First coat down:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Adamr

Adamr

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:04 PM

Second coat:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Guru

Guru

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,435 posts
  • Height:160 cm
  • Body Weight:59 kg
  • Squat PR:110 kg - achieved on 24/01/2012.
  • Press PR:Bench - 69 kg - aeons back.
  • Deadlift PR:125 kg - reclaimed on 28/01/2012.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

Sounds good man, I am the worlds worst DIY guy, so if I can pull this off, anyone can! Here is the platform all glued down, with just the seal and stain to do tomorrow night!

Saw the final photo just now Adam. This looks quite professional to me.

#30 silverback

silverback

Heavy Lifter

• Moderators
  • 4,146 posts
  • First Name:Andrew
  • LocationOakland CA, USA
  • Height:5'9"
  • Body Weight:168 lbs
  • Squat PR:320lbs
  • Press PR:240lbs Bench 170lbs OHP
  • Deadlift PR:405lbs