• LocationSundsvall, Sweden
  • Height:185 cm
  • Body Weight:~86 kg
  • Squat PR:125 kg
  • Press PR:Bench 107,5 kg *** BTNP 67,5 kg *** C&P 75 kg
  • Deadlift PR:Deadlift 180 kg *** Seal row 85 kg

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Doug Hepburn singles/triples routine
Here i am writing to you a very simple and easy to understand training routine that will help you build strength in the most easiest way possible. There is no complex programming or annoying assistance exercises implemented in this routine. This routine focus on the four most strength rewarding exercises available: Squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press. You rest usually 1-5 minutes between each single/triple depending on how you feel.

Program layout:
Monday/Thursday: Upper body (Bench press and overhead press)
Tuesday/Friday: Lower body (Squat and deadlift)

This is the basic layout for the program and as you can see you train four days a week and also you will work all body parts twice a week. The benefit with this is increased volume, increased strength and increased hypertrophy.

If you do not have the time to train four days a week you can do the same program as above two days a week. The drawdown of this is that it will take more time to add weight for you and you will only hit all bodyparts once a week. Which means less strength and less hypertrophy. But it's still a good program only if you do it twice a week, i do it twice a week sometimes when i am short of time during that week because of work or exams.

Progression:
Start at 85-90% of your a rep max at each exercise, start by doing four singles your first workout, the add one single each workout until you are able to do ten singles for each exercise. When you have hit ten singles you just restart at four singles again the next workout, but this time you bump up the weight 2,5-5 kg (5-10 pounds).

Example below:

Squat 100 kg
4x1, 5x1, 6x1, 7x1, 8x1, 9x1, 10x1 - Now you can add 2,5-5 kg and start over at 4x1.

The beauty with this is that when you add weight, volume goes down so even if the weight is heavier the volume is more then halved which is like a built in deload week.

Stagnation:
After a while on the singles routine you will start to peak out on all the exercises, you will find it harder and harder to add that single each time. Just continue to train hard and add one single until you start failing to do so. When you have failed to add a single despite trying for several workouts, are mentally tired or are going backwards in progression, don't panic! Because this is completely normal and have happened to myself several times. At this time you move to the deload phase.

Deload:
Now that you have peaked on all the exercises it's time for a deload. The deload works the exact same way as the singles routine. Now you start by doing triples at 75-80% of your 1 rep max and the goal here is to let your nervous system replenish and work back up to your old singles weight. If you did 100 kg in the squat for ten singles (10x1) and peaked at that weight your goal is now to work up to 100 kg for ten triples (10x3).
If you feel the need to try out your new maxes, do so. Let's say your old one rep max was 110 kg in the squat and now you do 120 kg in the squat your goal is still to continue using triples until you can to 100 kg for ten triples. When you reach that goal, you start the singles routine again, but this time calculated 85-90% by your new one rep max which is 120 kg.

Comments:
This is an very easy to understand program which i have used myself with great success. What i have learned since last time i ran the program is to use two exercises instead of three exercises during each session. Because three exercises during one session will get you extremely fatigued in the long run and will drain both time and mental energy from you.

If you want to do assistance work, you can throw in what you want on the end of each workout. I usually do some abs/calf exercises on the end of Fridays workout and some biceps and triceps at the end of Thursdays workout. But this is only if you are focusing on appearance/esthetics and not really necessary for the program.
If you cannot do deadlifts, just do rows instead. If you feel the deadlifts is too little volume for your back, throw in some rows at the end of the squat/deadlift workouts.

This is Doug Hepburn pressing 380 lbs (172,5kg):

#2 littlesimongeorge

littlesimongeorge

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,967 posts
  • First Name:Simon
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Height:6'3"
  • Body Weight:244/110kg
  • Squat PR:227.5kg x1
  • Press PR:Bench 170kg Press 115kg
  • Deadlift PR:240kg x6

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Nice one Boola

#3 Guru

Guru

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,446 posts
  • Height:160 cm
  • Body Weight:59 kg
  • Squat PR:110 kg - achieved on 24/01/2012.
  • Press PR:Bench - 69 kg - aeons back.
  • Deadlift PR:125 kg - reclaimed on 28/01/2012.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Good write-up. Gave it a try an year back, but couldn't stay on it due to various breaks.

One thing you forgot to mention - the amount of food to eat after the first couple of cycles, and the amount of time you spend in the gym. :P :D

#4 Frotabaga

Frotabaga

Heavy Lifter

• Moderators
  • 3,101 posts
  • First Name:Janelle
  • LocationIowa, USA
  • Height:5' 4"
  • Body Weight:Too much

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:09 PM

Aaaaand, another Hepburn routine:

Hepburn's Powerbuilding program (8x2->8x3)
This program consists of (approximately) monthly linear progression. There are two portions to the workout: power phase and pump phase.
  • Power Phase: you pick a weight (80% 1RM, usually) and the first day do 8x2. Next time, you do 7x2 + 1x3. Then 6x2 + 2x3, and so on, until you reach 8x3. At this point, you increase the weight and repeat, indefinitely.
  • Pump Phase: after the entire power phase of the workout is complete, drop ~20% from the power phase weight, and do 3x6 with the same lift performed in the power phase. The next workout, do 2x6 + 1x7. Then 1x6 + 2x7, etc., until you reach 3x8. Then increase the weight and repeat.

This program is designed as a full body workout each session.
  • Day 1: Bench Press (or, horizontal upper body push), Chin/pull-ups (vertical upper body pull), Squat (lower body push) 8x2->3; 3x6->8
  • Day 2: Overhead Press (vertical upper body press), Rows (horizontal upper body pull), Deadlift (lower body pull) 8x2->3; 3x6->8

There's a 4-day version and a 2-day version.
  • 4 day version:
    • Monday: day 1
    • Tuesday: day 2
    • Wednesday: "off"
    • Thursday: day 1 with progression
    • Friday: day 2 with progression
  • 2 day version:
    • Monday: day 1
    • Thursday: day 2
    • Next Monday: day 1 with progression

Other Notes: I'm running this program on a deficit, so I haven't seen noticable increases in strength, but I haven't seen non-injury-related decreases in strength, either.

With supersetting, I get through an 8x3 day (plus pump sets) in about 1.25-1.5 hours.

#5 Boola

Boola

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts
  • First Name:Alexander

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for sharing your experiences with your program Janelle, it's good if we have all the hepburn routines in here. :) It's great that you have had good gains even while cutting, i think this is very important to point out because a lot of programs don't do that.

#6 Growler

Growler

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • First Name:Michael
  • Height:5'11"
  • Body Weight:235 lbs
  • Squat PR:325 lbs
  • Press PR:Bench, 245 lbs
  • Deadlift PR:345 lbs

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Here's a link to a .pdf book called "Hepburns Law"...it has a lot of his ideas and outlines the 8x2 to 8x3 program:
http://www.sandowplu...epburns Law.pdf

It's a good read, only doesn't go into great detail about how to select exercises and structure your weekly routine IMO...

#7 Boola

Boola

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:36 PM

Doing the programs mentioned in that book would kill the most of us. They are extremely taxing. He changed his routine when he was 50+ to the routines i have written above just because the old routines are to taxing and the work in the never programs are more then sufficient.

#8 Maslow

Maslow

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC
  • Height:5'9"
  • Body Weight:187lb
  • Squat PR:415 lbs.
  • Press PR:290 lbs. bench/165 lbs. overhead
  • Deadlift PR:450 lbs.

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:41 PM

My friend and lifting mentor was friends with Hepburn before he died and would often talk to him about programming. As Hepburn trained others and benefited from further experience, he modified his recommendations, although the original program as laid out in Hepburn's Law is still effective of course. Here is the Hepburn method that I've been using with success so far. I switched deadlifts to day 1 and put squats on days 2 and 3 in order to emphasize the deadlift. With stronglifts and Texas Method, the deadlift is done after squatting. With this program it's possible to do deadlifts when the legs are fresh and to still get in two brutal squat sessions each week.

Maslow's "Hepburn" Program

Monday: Deadlift (4x1 @80%1RM, 2x3 @80% of singles weight ), Bench (4x1
@80%1RM, 2x3 @80% of singles weight ), Barbell Row (3x5)

Tuesday: Squat (4x1 @80%1RM, 2x3 @80% of singles weight ), Overhead Press
(4x1 @80%1RM, 2x3 @80% of singles weight ), either curls/snatch/pullups
(3xFail etc.)

Wednesday--Off

Thursday: Squat (5x1 @80%1RM, 3x3 @80% of singles weight ), Bench (5x1
@80%1RM, 3x3 @80% of singles weight ), Barbell Row (3x5)

Friday: Off

Saturday--Power Clean (4x1 @80%1RM, 2x3 @80% of singles weight), Overhead
Press(5x1 @80%1RM, 3x3 @80% of singles weight), either curl/Pullup/Snatch
(3xFail, etc.)

Sunday--off

For the single (power) sets start with 4x1 and increase up to 10x1, then add 5 lbs and repeat; for the tripple (pump) sets start with 2x3 increase up to 5x3, then add 5 lbs and repeat. Squat, press and bench weights will progress faster than the others since they're done more often. At the beginning it may be advisable to add more weight to a lift if it seems to easy, but it's important to use a lot of caution with that. If single attempts are missed, cut out the singles until progress is achieved on the pump sets, then reincoroprate the singles. Over time the weight used in the pump sets will approach the weight used on the power sets. Once the weight amounts are very close--so close that it's not really possible to do--you can take a week off and then reset the pump sets back to 80% of the power sets. You can run it a few times and when desired switch to doing doubles for the power sets. The main thing about Hepburn's method is it is designed to get very close to what's physically possible without overtraining. That's the key point that Boola mentioned as far as not being tempted to do extra sets. This program takes a lot of time (about 8 hours/week in the gym) and is not for the faint hearted.

I don't know how to do snatches so I do curls one day and chin ups/pull ups the other.

The pump sets are the real key to progress. The power sets compell perfect technique, increase CNS efficiency and teach you to not fear going heavy, but the pump sets are what drive the muscle growth.

#9 5MorePounds

5MorePounds

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • First Name:Danny
  • Height:6'1
  • Body Weight:190 lbs
  • Squat PR:280 lbs
  • Press PR:265 lbs
  • Deadlift PR:405 lbs

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

Some cool routines in this thread!! I'm currently doing my first homemade routine that's Hepburn inspired:

A
Squat 3/3/3 -> 5/5/5
Bench 3/3/3 -> 5/5/5
Row 3/3/3 -> 5/5/5

B
Deadlift 3 -> 5
Press 3/3/3 -> 5/5/5
Weighted Chin 3/3/3 -> 5/5/5

Workouts rotated 3 days a week just like stronglifts. I add one rep to the earliest set every workout until I hit 5/5/5. When I reach 5/5/5, I up the weight 5-10 pounds and start over. The volume is fairly low and there's a lot of room for recovery so I'm hoping I ride this routine to the sacred 300/400/500 ground :D

#10 Boola

Boola

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for you input Maslow and Danny.

I think you have choosen a program that will give you gains for a very long time Danny. :)

#11 aqslnb

aqslnb

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationGeorgia
  • Height:6'0"
  • Body Weight:188
  • Squat PR:405, Front squat - 345
  • Press PR:Bench (paused) - 285, Press - 170
  • Deadlift PR:555

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

I'm intrigued Maslow. May have to give it a try.

#12 Bear

Bear

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Height:6'
  • Body Weight:88kg (194lb)
  • Squat PR:Back: 192.5kg (424lb) Front: 125kg (275lb)
  • Press PR:Bench: 112.5kg (248lb) Overhead: 75kg (165lb) Push: 90kg (198lb)
  • Deadlift PR:Conventional: 220kg (484lb) Sumo: 190kg (418lb)

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

In the summer I did the following and got some decent results.

Choose a suitable weight ~85-90% of 1RM = X kg

4x1@X
3x5@80% of X

5x1@X
1x6 2x5@80% of X

6x1@X
2x6 1x5@80% of X

7x1@X
3x6@80% of X

8x1@X
1x7 2x6@80% of X

Workout 1: Squat+Bench Press
Workout 2: Deadlift+Pull up

Simply alternate - I got 3-4 workouts in a week just going by feel.
Minimal assistance work.

I did neglect the OHP - I am sure you could arrange things differently to include it.

#13 Maslow

Maslow

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

@Bear---That's an interesting way of structuring it. It increases the total number of pump reps much faster than the way I've been doing it. That's got to result in faster mass building but perhaps results in needing to reset sooner.

How long were you able to run it without resetting or taking a week off?

That seems like a lot of deadlifting. Do you really go like: Monday-squat, Wednesday-Deadlift, Friday-Squat, Sunday-Deadlift, Tuesday-Squat, Thursday-Deadlift, etc.? Or do you do two squat days for every deadlift day?

#14 Bear

Bear

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Looking at back at my log I was doing exactly that yes. I did it for about 1.5 months total and made some good gains however I did have a two week break in the middle when I went on a hiking trip. I will put my log (a .xls file) from the last year or two up on Google Docs when I get the chance.

#15 Maslow

Maslow

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

I'd like to see that file for sure. I'm absolutely amazed that you were able to maintain that kind of deadlifting volume. That's really impressive. I think the hiking trip break may have allowed you to keep it going.

#16 Bear

Bear

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:02 PM

https://docs.google....ajNLc0h5QmExM0E

There are separate sheets for 2010, 2011 and now 2012. Note: some of the sheets have not been updated for a LONG time.

For the Hepburn stuff (2011):
1st June->8th July
BREAK
20th July->23rd August
MAX OUT

I did mess around with the rep numbers quite a bit - the above shceme is what I have settled on if you like.

#17 idle

idle

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,797 posts
  • First Name:Kenn

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Here is my version of a modified Hepburn routine.

The spreadsheet is here: .xlsx version | .xls version | google docs

Now for the explanation. What I've done is take Hepburn's 4x1 and 4x3 routines and merged them together. I felt that doing one or the other would either have the intensity but not the volume I desire, or vice versa. There will be two distinct training days, described below, and each day there will be a power phase and a pump phase. Because I wanted a monthly increase in weight, I have a slightly accelerated rate of rep increases. So instead of jumping from 4x1 to 5x1 between sessions, I am jumping from 4x1 to 6x1 on singles days (then 8x1 and finally 10x1 -- and of course 4x3 to 6x3 to 8x3 to 10x3 for triples progression).

The pump phase on singles day will transition from 3x3 to 3x5 to keep intensity up, and the pump phase on triples day will transition from 3x6 to 3x8 for additional volume. In the first cycle, singles day will begin at 90% of max for power phase, and 70% for pump phase; triples day will be 80% and 60%. Each cycle will have a 5% increase in weight.

The exceptions to the rep scheme are the back movements -- they will only be done with the triples day volume.

In deciding the movements in each training session, I stuck with Hepburn's principles of having an upper body vertical pull paired with an upper body horizontal press and a lower body movement. The other session is a vertical upper body press and a horizontal upper body pull, with an opposing leg movement. My days are OHP, barbell rows and squats, and bench, pull-downs and deadlifts. Any lifts will do, though. Incline/decline bench, other rows, shrugs, front squats, RDLs, anything. Just find a balance.

Intensity is placed earlier in the week, because I personally find it easier to recover from. Volume later in the week to get muscles warmed and blood flowing, but still train hard. Press is placed earlier in the week because it will have less effect on bench than the reverse. Squats before deads because I like them better. Rows and pull-downs were ordered based on the pressing movement they should be paired with.

In addition to this Hepburn inspired training, which will take place 4 times per week after work, I will be training the Olympic lifts 5 days a week at lunch time. I will have to adjust, but I think I can manage the workload. I will be keeping the Olympic work light on most days, just high rep to work on form and get proficient in the lifts. The blood flow will help in recovery, I'm hoping.

Here is my scheduled first three weeks. Weights are in lbs.

Posted Image

#18 Nathan

Nathan

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • First Name:nathan
  • Locationmonmouth OR
  • Height:5'8"
  • Body Weight:185-190
  • Squat PR:350lbs
  • Press PR:173lbs OHP, 297.5 Bench
  • Deadlift PR:410lbs

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:04 AM

So, if I follow, you do 3 exercises per workout--not crazy given som BB routines. But by the end you could be doing 90 sets of low reps (10x3 x 3-exercises) in one workout?

I respect Hepburn (who wouldn't) but damn, that seems like a lot of work even though I like the idea of progression by slowly ramped up volume but these must be, what?, 2 hour workouts, yeah?

Any one get to the 10x3 stage with 3 heavy compound movements, yet? How'd it go?

#19 idle

idle

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,797 posts
  • First Name:Kenn

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:04 PM

I finished a cycle. The sessions were getting close to two hours by the end, yes. But you're conditioned to that weight by then, so as you go through a cycle, you can reduce rest times a bit.

I should note, for the template/spreadsheet that I posted above, please be conservative on your training maxes entered into the spreadsheet for calculation. It will be very difficult otherwise.

I am putting together another modified routine based on the above, but volume will be lower.

#20 Nathan

Nathan

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • First Name:nathan
  • Locationmonmouth OR
  • Height:5'8"
  • Body Weight:185-190
  • Squat PR:350lbs
  • Press PR:173lbs OHP, 297.5 Bench
  • Deadlift PR:410lbs

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:17 PM

That's too bad (for me, I mean) as this idea of progression by volume seems pretty cool. I can never spare more than hour for the gym, at most. This seems like it has what it needs to work.

#21 Dada

Dada

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Height:5' 11"
  • Body Weight:210

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

Good read, I learned some things from this thread. I've read the Hepburn's Law book before but these simplified versions may be easier to follow. Especially like the 2 day routines.

#22 Boola

Boola

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I have now rewritten the program layout to make it more fresher and easier to read.

#23 moeheep

moeheep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHastings, Florida USA
  • Height:5' 10"
  • Body Weight:165
  • Squat PR:255
  • Press PR:Bench 220
  • Deadlift PR:302.5

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hello everyone,
new member here....

I just finished a 17 week Hepburn program, 3 lift total went from 545 to 777.5
gain of 232.5 lbs ...in 4 months

bench 167 to 220
Squay 167 to 255
Deadlift 211 to 302.5
( I am 49 yrs old, and weight 165)

monday - thursday
squats 6x2 up to 6x3, add and repeat
bench 6x2 up to 6x3, add and repeat

5 min rest

squats 80%, 3x6 up to 3x8
bench 80%, 3x6 up to 3x8

tuesday - friday
Deads 6x2 up to 6x3
Mil Press 6x2 up to 6x3

5 min rest

BB rows, 3x6 up to 3x8
wide grip pullups, BW x 4
Mil Press 3x6 up to 3x8

this set up gives a weight progression every 7 workouts...3 1/2 weeks

#24 Boola

Boola

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

@moeheep: thanks for sharing your experiences. Those gains you have had are just awesome! Cobgratulations.

#25 moeheep

moeheep

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationHastings, Florida USA
  • Height:5' 10"
  • Body Weight:165
  • Squat PR:255
  • Press PR:Bench 220
  • Deadlift PR:302.5

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:08 AM

Thanks,

I REALLY believed in the program, ate a ton, worked as hard as I could, and slept. (which, as we all know, will give you results with almost any routine)

I have switched to a lower poundage, more volume, Squat, Press, Pull fullbody routine....but I am thinking of modifying the Hepburn (a little more assistance work) and going back to it. Who knows...I will give the new routine at least a month before I decide anything.

#26 Koa

Koa

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:38 PM

Here is a nice calculator including one for Hepburn:

www.strengthcalc.com

#27 arthax

arthax

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:29 PM

Time to wake this thread! :)

I am currently doing the extended russian power rutine and have three weeks left. After that I will do Hepburn as follows

Mon

Bench (power and pump)

Press (Power and pump)

Curl (power and pump)

Tue

Squat (power and pump)

Deadlift (power and pump)

Chins (minimum 50 reps

(abs)

Wed

Off

Thu

Bench (power and pump)

Press (Power and pump)

Curl (power and pump)

Fri

Squat (power and pump)

Deadlift (power and pump)

Dumbbell row 5x10

(abs)

First of all, do you guys prefer this "upper/lower" layout, or do you prefer for example squat/bench on monday and dead/press on tuesday and so on?

I´ve also been trying to understan whitch of the program A or B you should start wirh? The A seeams like more volume compared to the B whitch is more intensity oriented with less volume?

(bare with my english, Im from sweden) :)

#28 tredaway

tredaway

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:28 PM

Is anyone still using the Hepburn routines ?

#29 Art

Art

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17,393 posts
  • First Name:Art
  • LocationColumbus, Tx
  • Height:6'0"
  • Body Weight:189
  • Squat PR:190x5
  • Press PR:105 strict, Bench 150x2