• First Name:Nick
  • LocationGifu, Japan
  • Height:183cm
  • Body Weight:76kg
  • Squat PR:92.5kg
  • Press PR:70kg
  • Deadlift PR:117.5kg

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

In late 2010, I did GOMAD for eight weeks, with great results. Here's my story.

I was always skinny. When I got married at age 30, I weighed just 56kg (123 lbs) despite being 6ft (183cm) tall. Five years later when I started the Gallon Of Milk A Day diet, I weighed 63kg (139 lbs).

Every day for the next eight weeks, I consistently drank between 3 and 4 liters of whole milk in addition to my regular meals. I also carried a bag of peanuts or raisins around with me to snack on. If that wasn't enough, I mistakenly added three scoops of Weider Weight Up (a weight gain protein powder) to my milk three times a day instead of just once because I misread the Japanese instructions.

Besides eating, I went to the gym three times a week and did compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press and bent-over rows. I was also a keen runner so I went running two or three times a week despite knowing it would burn off some of my hard-earned calories.

GOMAD Side-Effects

All this milk and protein consumption came at a price, and I don't just mean the cost of the weight gain powder.

First, it took a while to get used to all the milk. I felt bloated and struggled to eat my regular meals. I also ended up going to the toilet a lot with a mild, but persistent case of diarrhea.

Second, I'm lactose intolerant, so I had a really itchy anus. I had to go to the pharmacy to get some anti-itch pellets to stick up my rear.

Third, I got acne on my back and arms. I've always suffered from acne on my back, but it got much worse doing GOMAD.

Finally, I started to smell of ammonia. This is apparently caused by the body sweating out excess protein, probably caused by me consuming too much protein powder.

The Results

Was it worth it? Absolutely. At the end of those eight weeks, I weighed in at 74kg (163 lbs), 11kg (24 lbs) heavier than just two months prior. I had a noticeable belly, but had thicker arms and legs, too. I just got a lot bigger.

Posted Image

I've continued drinking whole milk, though no more than a liter a day, and now weigh 76kg (168 lbs). I'm still short of my goal of 83kg (183 lbs), but I can't imagine ever reverting back to my old skinny self.

#2 FerrousMaverick

FerrousMaverick

Certifiable

• Moderators
  • 6,688 posts
  • First Name:Berin
  • LocationUSA-VA
  • Height:6'1" (185 cm)
  • Body Weight:132kg / 291lb
  • Squat PR:445lb (202kg)
  • Press PR:OHP: 165lb (75kg) 72.5kg 3RM Bench: 125kg (275 lb) 122.5kg 3RM
  • Deadlift PR:505lb (229kg) 215kg 3RM
  • External Blog:http://ferrousmaverick.blogspot.com/

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:09 PM

Good job. I'm coming from the other direction (hence the diet plans that I put out). I like the fair and balanced way you described the process, the mistakes you made, and the side-effects you should expect. The good news is that it is easy to maintain weight, but very difficult to change it. Whether going up or down, that last 20lb is way harder to achieve than the first.

By following the eating plan I put out first and just adding the workouts, I gained about 11lb of muscle (5kg) in 2 months and lost .6lb of fat in the process. Obviously it isn't going to get you the same kind of results as GOMAD does to increase your weight. I think this will give people some options based on what their goals are.

#3 Mike

Mike

Heavy Lifter

• Administrators
  • 2,074 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • LocationToronto
  • Height:6'0
  • Body Weight:190lb
  • Squat PR:355lb x1
  • Press PR:225lb Bench x1
  • Deadlift PR:365lb x1

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Great before and after story Nick. Thanks for sharing it. Makes me want to go drink a big glass of milk right now. In fact.......

Also, congratulations on your success so far and keep at it. I want to see you make your goal weight.

#4 sking

sking

Mmmmmilk

• Moderators
  • 2,806 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • LocationCushing, USA
  • Height:5'4
  • Body Weight:194
  • Squat PR:500
  • Press PR:(OHP/Bench) 215/310
  • Deadlift PR:555

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Wow, what a transformation. Awesome story Nick! Thanks for sharing.

#5 NeilPorter

NeilPorter

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • First Name:Neil
  • LocationUK
  • Height:5'7" (170cms)
  • Body Weight:85kgs / 187 lbs
  • Squat PR:Back Squat 132.5kg *** Front Squat 100kg ** High Box SSB 205kg
  • Press PR:OHP 65kg *** PushPress 75kg ** ** BTNPP 70kg ** Bench 95kg
  • Deadlift PR:Conventional 190kg *** Trap Bar 230kg *** 18" Deadlift 3x210kg

Posted 29 June 2011 - 09:59 PM

Congrats on a massive change - Real turnaround indeed glad to see has made a difference for you, and even sticking with it despite the issues you faced...

#6 Beasley

Beasley

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • First Name:Alex
  • LocationReading, England
  • Height:5'8
  • Body Weight:76.1 KG (14/2/12)
  • Squat PR:100 KG
  • Press PR:Bench: 75 KG / OHP: 55KG
  • Deadlift PR:120 KG

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

Because getting yourself soy/almond milk would just have been too easy :P

Good job man, very big change.

#7 FerrousMaverick

FerrousMaverick

Certifiable

• Moderators
  • 6,688 posts
  • First Name:Berin
  • LocationUSA-VA
  • Height:6'1" (185 cm)
  • Body Weight:132kg / 291lb
  • Squat PR:445lb (202kg)
  • Press PR:OHP: 165lb (75kg) 72.5kg 3RM Bench: 125kg (275 lb) 122.5kg 3RM
  • Deadlift PR:505lb (229kg) 215kg 3RM
  • External Blog:http://ferrousmaverick.blogspot.com/

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

I'm wondering if the soy/almond milk would have been the same results... Definitely more expensive though.

#8 Beasley

Beasley

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • First Name:Alex
  • LocationReading, England
  • Height:5'8
  • Body Weight:76.1 KG (14/2/12)
  • Squat PR:100 KG
  • Press PR:Bench: 75 KG / OHP: 55KG
  • Deadlift PR:120 KG

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:41 PM

That's a fair point, actually. It's just I find it incredible that someone that's lactose intolerant would be able to have that much that often. My mum's lactose intolerant and she can't stand the stuff at all.

Nick, if all you get from drinking milk is an itchy arse, you must only be very slight L.I. Then again, I'd guess that the toilet trouble was also caused by it, as that's what my mum always complains about.

#9 ss210

ss210

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

great transformation! GOMAD is certainly the way to go for hard gainers

#10 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • First Name:Keenan
  • LocationFL
  • Height:5'9"
  • Body Weight:185
  • Squat PR:405lb, 315lb FS
  • Press PR:285lb Bench, 200lb OHP
  • Deadlift PR:525lb

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:55 PM

To avoid those side effects, simply drinking whey and casein mixed with coconut milk or Kefir (or both) will give you more protein and less sugar (and no lactose)...

#11 MathiahM

MathiahM

Glute Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • First Name:Mathiah
  • LocationNew Mexico
  • Height:5'7"
  • Body Weight:161 lbs.
  • Squat PR:BS: 240x5 FS: 140x5
  • Press PR:Bench: 165x5 OHP: 135x1
  • Deadlift PR:322.5x5

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

GOMAD doesn't work as well if it's not whole milk, according to rippetoe anyway. :)

#12 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

GOMAD doesn't work as well if it's not whole milk, according to rippetoe anyway. :)

You can add fat cals with coconut milk.

#13 MathiahM

MathiahM

Glute Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

I'm not trying to cause dissension, I'm just saying that Rippetoe went into a long drawn out quote saying that nothing works better than a gallon of whole milk a day. It's better than steroids for beginners and I take his word for it since I gained 32 lbs. on it when I did it.

Personally I'm so used to whole milk at this point, I can't stand anything that isn't. haha. :)

I was just trying to get at what Ferrous was inquiring. I may be able to find the quote...

#14 Juggerswolik

Juggerswolik

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts
  • First Name:Daniel
  • LocationGermany
  • Height:185cm
  • Body Weight:~105kg
  • Squat PR:BS 235kg; FS 162kg
  • Press PR:Bench 150kg; Push 110kg; Jerk 136kg
  • Deadlift PR:252,5kg; Clean 137kg; Snatch 101kg

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:20 PM

Congrats on your results, there´s really no comparison as to what pic looks better!

Don´t get soy-milk, though ... unless you want some extra estrogen and that terrible taste ;)

#15 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:30 PM

I'm not trying to cause dissension, I'm just saying that Rippetoe went into a long drawn out quote saying that nothing works better than a gallon of whole milk a day. It's better than steroids for beginners and I take his word for it since I gained 32 lbs. on it when I did it.

Personally I'm so used to whole milk at this point, I can't stand anything that isn't. haha. :)

I was just trying to get at what Ferrous was inquiring. I may be able to find the quote...

Sure, I'm just pointing out that if you want the growth of GOMAD without the side effects, you can take whey/casein with coconut milk and kefir. Consuming an extra couple thousand cals will definitely change your body, I'm just saying it doesn't have to give you acne or digestive problems.

GOMAD provides: 2400cal, 200g carbs, 120g fat, 120g protein

Let's say you did 8 scoops of casein/whey blend, 1 quart of flavored Kefir (cultured milk) and 2L of light coconut milk instead. You'd have: 240g protein, 120g fat, 120g CHO and 2500cals. That macro-nutrient profile is infinitely better, the cals are about the same, it would be much tastier (you could swap kefir flavors to mix it up, too), and you wouldn't have digestion/skin problems. If anything, the fat from the coconut milk would probably do wonders for your skin and the cultured milk would help your digestion. Just something to think about.

#16 MathiahM

MathiahM

Glute Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'm not so sure the fat from coconut milk is any better than whole milk fat. What's the difference? :)

#17 NeilPorter

NeilPorter

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:04 PM

Quote from another website
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Nutrition,_Supplements_and_Cardio

Mark Rippetoe:

Milk works because it is easy, it is available, it doesn't need any preparation, and it has all the components necessary for growing mammals, which your trainees most definately are. There also seems to be something special about milk that the equivalent amount of calories, protein, fat and carbs can't duplicate in terms of growth enhancement. It may be the fact that milk has been shown to have very high levels of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1), a peptide hormone that has been shown to have some tenuous relationship to accelerated growth in mammals. But that research is far from conclusive; suffice it to say that people who drink lots of milk during their novice phase get bigger and stronger than people who don't.

Alan Aragon:

...milk is one of the best muscle foods on the planet. You see, the protein in milk is about 20 percent whey and 80 percent casein... it's ideal for providing your body with a steady supply of smaller amounts of protein for a longer period of time, like between meals or while you sleep. Since milk provides both, one big glass gives your body an ideal combination of muscle-building proteins.
Why WHOLE milk?Edit

The fat adds more calories and it's all about calories. The fat also plays an important role in the delivery of certain nutrients and regulation of the body's hormones. There are other factors at play with what drinking Whole milk does to body composition too. Though I'm not privy to the science behind it, I am sure of the results.

Alan Aragon:

When it comes to building muscle, though, whole milk may be your best choice: Scientists at the University of Texas medical branch in Galveston found that drinking whole milk after lifting weights boosted muscle protein synthesis, an indicator of muscle growth, 2.8 times more than drinking skim did.

I can attest to it working - have done 3 stints on it this year and it works. Simple as that.
I think the beauty of it is how easy it is. Just open, drink milk. done.

I understand Spectors point - if you are intolerant to lactose then of course there are alternatives out there which to be fair are a lot more expensive than just milk -
but if you're not then just drink Full Fat milk. Simple as that.

#18 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

I'm not so sure the fat from coconut milk is any better than whole milk fat. What's the difference? :)

I was actually just pointing out that you can easily add fat and calories without whole milk by using coconut milk instead. But since you asked... Coconut milk has more lauric acid, for one, and less PUFA for another, making it an arguably better fat.

Composition of bovine milk fat: http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2596709/

And, yes, if you have no side effects and no money, by all means do GOMAD. I'm just saying there is a better way to get better quality calories that won't cover you with acne and won't cover your toilet with diarrhea. Also note that what I'm suggesting has double the protein of GOMAD and half the sugar.

#19 NeilPorter

NeilPorter

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

And, yes, if you have no side effects and no money, by all means do GOMAD. I'm just saying there is a better way to get better quality calories that won't cover you with acne and won't cover your toilet with diarrhea. Also note that what I'm suggesting has double the protein of GOMAD and half the sugar.

I have to admit if I faced the issues Nick did - I would have found another means like you pointed out...no way I would be living with chronic diarrhea and bad smells, bad guts, acne. No way in the world it is worth going through all that when there are alternatives available.

#20 ScottJones

ScottJones

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • First Name:Scott
  • LocationDallas, TX
  • Height:6'4
  • Body Weight:249
  • Squat PR:432
  • Press PR:245
  • Deadlift PR:501

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:07 AM

Is there much difference nutritionally between coconut and almond milk or are they pretty smiliar?

#21 NeilPorter

NeilPorter

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

Is there much difference nutritionally between coconut and almond milk or are they pretty similar?

I can only offer this info
Almond milk has a small taste advantage over coconut in the vanilla flavored versions
Calories are the same per serving (90 calories)
Coconut has twice the fat (5g) per serving and it is all saturated fat while Almond Milk has zero saturated fat
Almond is 10 times as high in sodium (6% daily value)
Almond is nearly double the carbohydrates (16g) and over double the sugars (15g)
Almond milk has 3 times the calcium (30% daily value)
Both are a good source of vitamin D

Hope that helps?

#22 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:48 AM

Yep. Almond milk has more carbs and more poly-unsaturated fat. I like the occasional almond milk as part of a protein shake, but I wouldn't consume large quantities of it as a substitute for GOMAD. Too much PUFA.

Coconut milk is high in lauric acid, which is great, and lacking in Almond milk.

#23 Mouse

Mouse

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • First Name:Mouse
  • LocationEast Yorkshire

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

How do you milk an almond?

B)

#24 NeilPorter

NeilPorter

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

How do you milk an almond?

B)

Takes years of training and some very small tweezers :-)

#25 Slick

Slick

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • First Name:Vik
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Height:5ft 7 (171cm)
  • Body Weight:65.8Kg
  • Squat PR:102.5 Kg (226lb)
  • Press PR:Bench: 67.5 Kg (149lb) OHP: 48Kg
  • Deadlift PR:142.5 Kg (313.5lb)

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Yep. Almond milk has more carbs and more poly-unsaturated fat. I like the occasional almond milk as part of a protein shake, but I wouldn't consume large quantities of it as a substitute for GOMAD. Too much PUFA.

Coconut milk is high in lauric acid, which is great, and lacking in Almond milk.

i found a lot of variety and price bands when it comes to coconut milk, anything particular to look out for or a certain % of coconut? as when I got shopping the cheaper brands seem a lot lighter so guessing more watered down?

#26 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

My personal favorite is trader joe's "lite" coconut milk, which is just coconut milk and water and nothing else, but I don't think they have that in the UK.

I would simply find the coconut milk variety that has ONLY coconut milk in it, with no filler. You might have to settle for something with a little guar gum in it. But find a good brand that doesn't have added garbage in it, and go with that. I'd probably prefer to err on the side of more coconut -- you can always add your own water later.

If you're doing "NOMAD" instead of "GOMAD" just figure out how much of your brand of coconut milk to use in order to hit your macros. Regular coconut milk could be twice as dense as "lite", so just use half as much and increase the water.

#27 KaKTy3

KaKTy3

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK
  • Height:1.85 m (6'1")
  • Body Weight:86.6 kg (190.1 lbs)

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Ah, Kefir. This is what 99% of the former USSR population has grown up drinking. I miss it, a lot, even if my grandmother used to put 3 tsp of sugar in mine :)

#28 Wanderlei

Wanderlei

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Height:6''3-4'
  • Body Weight:190lbs/86kg
  • Squat PR:205kg/450lbs x 1
  • Deadlift PR:220kg/485lbs x 1

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:11 PM

From what I understand the benefit of GOMAD isn't just the calories in whole milk, but also the hormones in it, which is why there's not very much that is as effective.

#29 spector

spector

Low Body Fat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

From what I understand the benefit of GOMAD isn't just the calories in whole milk, but also the hormones in it, which is why there's not very much that is as effective.

There's no significant hormones found in milk that would accomplish such an effect.

Your own body produces more T and IGF and such due to increased cals and increased saturated fat, but that can easily be handled in the method I listed. Also, Kefir would contain all the same things milk does, except the lactose. It's just fermented milk.

#30 derickthai

derickthai

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  • First Name:Derick
  • LocationSydney
  • Height:173cm
  • Body Weight:82kg

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

Is it possible to find coconut milk in big bottles? Or are they just packaged in those little cans?