Certifiable

• Administrators
  • 7,425 posts
  • First Name:Berin
  • LocationUSA-VA
  • Height:6'1" (185 cm)
  • Body Weight:125 kg / 275 lb
  • Squat PR:450lb (204kg)
  • Press PR:OHP: 80kg (176lb) 75kg 3RM Bench: 290 lb (131 kg)
  • Deadlift PR:235 kg (517 lb)
  • External Blog:http://ferrousmaverick.blogspot.com/

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's clear that my issues with squat are going to require more than a TUBOW to fix, and I can only occasionally bring in a camera to check my progress. So far I have been frustrated, even with good knee position just not being able to get deep enough. So here are my thoughts so far, and please help me refine them.
  • Take a deep deload, 25% off my 5RM at least. Certain muscles that haven't been used as much need to be developed once I get the form correct.
  • Mobility training: a big part of the problem is lake of hip mobility.
  • Fixing my proprioception (position sense)
  • Assistance exercises needed to help develop the sense of balance and strength I need
In my case, I'll be deloading even further to 225lb (current 5RM is 295). For me that is an easy weight to handle, but not as ridiculous as tossing around 135lb.

The muscles that most commonly inhibit proper squat depth are: hams, gluts, adductors, and abductors. Due to decades of sitting in a chair and doing programming work most of my life, I'm pretty inflexible. Flexibility issues can take 4-6 weeks of active work to fix. I'm not liking the thought of that, but I don't think I can escape it. Stretches I found that I will incorporate daily are:I've been slacking off with the stretching, and I need to get back on the stick.

It's the assistance exercises that I will need the most help with. I need to fix my proprioception so that I can feel when I am parallel. Part of the problem is I feel a stretch much sooner than I should. When I finally do go past that it's murder getting back up. Another problem is that as I get lower, I feel my balance going too far back off my heel. A lot of that is proper bar position relative to the foot, so I have to work all this out. What I'm thinking of is:
  • box squats 2x5 5RM-50%
  • TUBOW squats 3x5 5RM-25%
If core strength was an issue, I would have to add some exercises for that, but I think I'm OK in that area.

Essentially I would be going back to 5x5 on squats but with a much lighter load. I would start resuming progression once I get the body position I need. After that I believe I can handle 10lb progressions back up to my current 5RM doing just 3x5 squats.

Please shoot holes in this, make it better, etc. I really need a coach at my gym, but in absence of that I'm at your mercy.

#2 Randy

Randy

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • First Name:Randy
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA
  • Height:6'2"
  • Body Weight:200lbs

Posted 04 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

I may be wrong on this but my thought would be to increase volume even more. If it's mobility and depth, might as well force yourself into doing it more. Since it's a fairly light weight for you, what about doing bigger sets to really drive in the route. Maybe doing like a 3x10 or even a 5x10?

I have 0 experience with this, but that is my thinking.

#3 sking

sking

Mmmmmilk

• Moderators
  • 2,988 posts
  • First Name:Steve
  • LocationCushing, USA
  • Height:5'4
  • Body Weight:191
  • Squat PR:500
  • Press PR:(OHP/Bench) 225/325
  • Deadlift PR:555

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I think box squats are a great idea. Even if it's just a touch and go so you can get used to the depth. Just use a box that is below parallel.

In my opinion, as Randy said, you need a lot of volume at the proper depth. I think approximately 75% of your 5RM is an ideal weight (around 225, I think you said).

#4 FerrousMaverick

FerrousMaverick

Certifiable

• Administrators
  • 7,425 posts
  • LocationUSA-VA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:47 PM

The goal with the box squats at the lower weight is to get used to them first. I may increase the box squats quickly if it is too easy so that they come more in line with the 3x5 TUBOW squats.

Last time I tried touch and go (bar only) I fell on my butt instead of touching the platform. That's why I'm thinking I need to start at the bottom first.

#5 Mike

Mike

Heavy Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts
  • First Name:Mike
  • LocationToronto
  • Height:6'0
  • Body Weight:190lb
  • Squat PR:355lb x1
  • Press PR:225lb Bench x1
  • Deadlift PR:365lb x1

Posted 04 October 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'm a big fan of RDLs for developing your hams as well as stretching them out/increasing mobility

#6 Slick

Slick

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • First Name:Vik
  • LocationManchester, UK
  • Height:5ft 7 (171cm)
  • Body Weight:65.8Kg
  • Squat PR:102.5 Kg (226lb)
  • Press PR:Bench: 67.5 Kg (149lb) OHP: 48Kg
  • Deadlift PR:142.5 Kg (313.5lb)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

I’m having some similar squat issues and have cut down on squatting heavy three times a week now as I was getting some mild groin pain on my left side, even though I was doing a lot of warm up and mobility work. I also had my technique checked with a local instructor who said everything was fine.

I started to do some front squats and also lowered the weight on the squats and added in some more reps for the sessions with the lighter weights. Yesterday I started to do the following as I think my left leg is weaker than my right which is causing the strain on my groin (lunges & squats were harder on the left leg.)

So I will do heavy squats Monday and Friday (possibly front squats one session and back the other) then Wednesday the routine below

Not sure if it will help but I tried this routine yesterday and didn’t have any pain today so will run with it for a month or two

· X band walks

· mini band walks

· side clams

· glute raises

· One leg barbell squats

· Barbell Lunges

· Low weight squat with band above the knees (to make sure they are out as I read this maybe a cause of groin pain)

Edit: just found this article today too : http://www.t-nation....gleleg_training

#7 Killian

Killian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • First Name:Killian
  • LocationDublin, Ireland
  • Height:183
  • Body Weight:95kg
  • Squat PR:160kg
  • Press PR:95kg
  • Deadlift PR:206kg

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Ferrous, just one quick point, I find it 10 times more difficult to squat with an empty bar as opposed to 100kg so if you're trying to work on form/mobility I'd definitely suggest having some weight on the bar. I think mobility is the key here and mobility work needs to be done daily and maybe even more than once per day... My trainer at the gym might be able to point you in the right direction so I'll email him your predicament and let you know what he suggests... may take a day or two...

#8 FerrousMaverick

FerrousMaverick

Certifiable

• Administrators
  • 7,425 posts
  • LocationUSA-VA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. The 225lb squat is ridiculously easy for me, but I was able to get another inch or two lower knowing that. I'm going to have to grab a video camera to verify if I'm low enough yet.

The only plus side to this, is my bench and press will get higher since my energy isn't sapped from squats right now.

#9 Bolly

Bolly

Lifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Body Weight:70
  • Squat PR:127.5 (3x5)
  • Press PR:52.5 (3X5)
  • Deadlift PR:140 (1X5)

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

Don't allow depth for a rounded lower back. Pointless. I also love box squats. But my situationis different to yours